What is a USDOT Number?
A USDOT number is a unique identification number for your company. It is required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for certain businesses. Basically, the DOT number allows for instant access to your company’s safety information.
This includes events like inspections, audits, accident investigations, compliance reviews, and more. And, if your company uses commercial vehicles to transport passengers or move cargo, you must have this number on every vehicle.
Do I need a DOT Number for my company?
DOT numbers are required in specific states for various business types. You’ll need a DOT number if you have a commercial vehicle operating in California that meets any of the following qualifications:
- If your vehicle carries 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation
- If you use your vehicle to carry more than 15 passengers (including the driver), but not for compensation
- If your vehicle has a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or higher
- If you use your vehicle to transport materials that require a safety permit and/or are classified as hazardous (according to the Secretary of Transportation)
Additionally, the area where your vehicle transports goods or passengers determines whether or not you need a DOT number. You’ll need a DOT number if your commercial vehicle is used for trade or transport in any of the following ways:
- Between two places located in one state, but through another state (or through a location outside of the US)
- Between two places located within one state as part of a trade, traffic or transportation with the original location or destination located outside of the US
- Between a state and another state, or a state and a location outside of the US
Getting a DOT Number with San Diego Truck Insurance
First, you’ll need to protect your assets by forming an LLC (Limited Liability Company) or corporation. This creates a business entity for your company. Then, you’ll need to start the application process for a DOT number. And, it might take a few weeks for your number to activate.
Completing all the requirements for your business can be tedious and time consuming. So, that’s why our team at San Diego Truck Insurance works tirelessly to help! We want to make the process easier for you. So, let us walk you through all of the requirements. And, we can help you step-by-step with the process to easily get your DOT number!
Contact us today and speak to an agent about the requirements for your commercial auto business. And, we can also help you get the best insurance policies! Protect your business and your livelihood with San Diego Truck Insurance.